The Business of Love

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Job Interview: Part III

Congratulations. You've now set up an interview, dressed for success, and are ready to nail your interview.

First Impressions

I can't overemphasize the importance of a good first impression. Interviewers meet many applicants in a very short time. If you don't make a good impression right away, you'll get filed away in the "everyone else" bin of the interviewer's mind.

So how does one make such a positive impression? Remember that non-verbal communication is more influential than what you say. First, use good posture. Second, look the interviewer in the eye. Lastly, once seated, sit up straight in a relaxed position. Now that you know how to walk the walk, how do you talk the talk?

Talk the Talk

You look and act the part. Now you've got to seal the deal. This part of your interview will be extremely dynamic, so all I can do is provide a few principles that will guide you:

1. Be Yourself.
2. Be Positive.
3. Respect the Interviewer.
4. Have Fun.

This is a gross oversimplification, but these principles should help guide you toward a successful interview.

Dating Applications

I hope the connection between interviewing and dating are crystal-clear by now, but just to have a little fun I'll walk through what I would consider an average "interview" (1st date).

I arrange the date at least 3 days in advance and let the girl know what the plan will be so she can dress appropriately and eat before if necessary. I usually dress pretty casual, but I try to wear clothes I've been complimented on in the past. I always make sure to be on time or a couple minutes early. Sure you may end up waiting since many ladies are NOT punctual but that's the game.

When I meet the "interviewer" I always make eye contact and smile while introducing myself. I believe in chivalry, so I open doors whenever possible and I pay. Conversation is usually light and I try to inject as much humor as I can. Of course you should avoid any potentially offensive material. Always be extra cautious until you know the "interviewer" better.

From there on it will come down to chemistry and all that other frustratingly ambiguous "stuff". So good luck on your interviews and hopefully some of you will get second interviews and maybe even get "hired".

Tip of the Day: Smile. Unless your mouth is an orthodontic massacre, this will single-handedly make you 25%-50% more attractive.

PS Sorry to keep you waiting Julie.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Julie T said…

    It was worth it, Handsome Rob! You made some excellent points that if lived by, I think half of BYU would be hired by summer! Why is it that don't guys think more about things like "wear what you've been complimented in, smile a lot more and use whatever humor you've got"?! Girls think about this all the time and instinctively employ all these tools. I may just ask your EQP if he doesn't want you to teach these things on a 5th Sunday for those who don't visit your blog...BTW, hope your game is "love-love" this semester and that you'll find an interviewer who wants to play nothing but doubles not too far down the road! (see Elder Tingey, CES Fireside, January 13, 2008)

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Julie T said…

    PS I also love the fact that you remembered my name! Big points in that direction!

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Am I ready to nail the interview or to nail the interviewer?

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Lusty Rusty said…

    If women really instinctively thought to "wear what you've been complimented in," why are there so many women nowadays that wear uggs and bug-eye sunglasses?

    Just a thought to ponder.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home