The Business of Love

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Technology & Dating: Unwritten Rules

Technology is permeating our lives. Everyone seems to have a cell phone, MP3 player, and computer. With so much technology, I guess it should come as no surprise that technology and dating have now become intertwined.

Dating Sites

Dating websites are everywhere. Big internet dating sites like True.com
eHarmony, or Match.com make it seem like millions of people are trying to find their true love through the internet. I may be a little old-fashioned, but technology is only a tool to HELP you get a date. Here are some rules I have observed.

Social Networks

Sites like Facebook and Myspace are the most obvious ways to use a little technology in your social life. Using these sites lets you keep in touch with friends and acquaintances at your convenience. However, the key is moderation.

Text Messaging, Instant Messaging, and "Facebooking"

From experience I have noticed that all technology is not created equal in the dating world. Whether asking a girl on a date, just trying to get to know her better, or saying hi, you want to use the best method. Here is your roadmap for using technology in dating:

  • Face-to-face - Always your best bet for any social activity. Worried that your aren't attractive? Deal with it because she'll find out sooner or later.

  • Phone call - Provided you actually got her number legitimately this is a great way to go if you tend to get really nervous.

  • Text Message - Not as personal as a call, but good for quick info when she's at work or in class.

  • Instant Message - If she's online this can be nice since you see what you typed before you hit enter. If used wisely it will keep you from making a fool of yourself.

  • "Facebooking" - Be it the annoying "Poke" or a Message, this is good for a quick shout-out or flirting, but not for a date. Be a man and make the call.


Go and Date

Now you know the rules according to Handsome Rob, so give it a try. If you have something to add, leave a comment.

*Disclaimer: I don't know how a text message is different than a message on Facebook, but the ladies seem more accepting of a text message when asking for a date. Go figure.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Here's my opinion on the difference between a facebook message and a text: a text is more personal. Anyone can send me a message on facebook, but if you text me, it means I've given you the number to my personal phone--a number I don't give out to every acquaintance I accept as a friend on facebook.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    New Comment onThursday, February 22, 2007
    The Dating Game: It's About Control

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was recently discovered your blog and have read all your entries...you contradict yourself all over!
    i.e. Your supposed goin' for the "generic brand" girl...but you are soooo interested in the name brand that you can't get past it! My point:(Oct 19, 05) "They see the high price and assume that there is something they don't know that adds to her quality." Don't tell me you haven't fallen prey to investing in the name brand.
    I am sorry if this is harsh, I only mean to bring this to your attention.

    Re Oct 13, 2005:
    As a girl, we enjoy the jealousy because it shows that you are just that interested in us. You are willing to push other guys out of the way to get to us consequently pushing up our price...what a vote of confidence! HOWEVER, if we were to try and push other girls out of the way of a guy we liked, we are seen as forward and eager and the rumors fly.
    Back to generic comment...everyone has something to offer...so why not check out more of the merchandice before making a purchase. Date around...assume you don't have a type...we generic girls are out there too, but have you invested enough time to get to really know them? In your words...hello, am I invisible?- Aug 30, 2006)
    I'd want to know what you think...

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Handsome said…

    @anonymous

    Are there contradictions in my blog? Of course, this is a blog about dating which is one of the most illogical and contradictory things ever. If the process made sense you would just figure out the "rules" and win. It just isn't that simple.

    Have I gone for "brand name" girls? Yes, and always gotten burned in the process. I support checking out "generic" girls, but not all generic brands are equal. Malt-O-Meal Tootie Frooties are great, Western Family's version sucks. Everyone has different tastes, generics all taste a little different, so you have to find the one that suits you.

    On jealousy: Of course girls like it, but guys hate it. Be cautious to not turn off a nice guy by using jealousy to get a "vote of confidence". Isn't his interest in you enough of a vote of confidence? If I feel a girl intentionally plays the jealousy card with me, that's a deal-killer. If a girl is very forward with me it leads to two results: 1. if I like her I think it's great. 2. if I am not interested I make sure I don't encourage her and may have to be very frank in telling her I'm not interested.

    Rebuttal? Further questions?

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for responding. I haven't ever played the jealousy card...just so you know I'm not a man-eater ;-) I liked your comment. You brought up a good point...that everyone has different tastes and not all generic brands taste the same. This wasn't brain surgery I guess, however, I didn't make the connection. I'm intrigued that you have had such bad luck, especially if you call yourself Handsome...
    Rebuttal?...you think I'm out to getcha, huh?! Nope, but may I suggest something to write about in your next blog? Taking friendship to the next level...how's it done? Also, what does a girl do to get herself noticed by the guy she is trying to attract?

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! There is some feirce conversation in these comments. I just want to say that I wouldn't consider myself genric cereal or name brand. Maybe I'm a granola bar? I just know that I have something totally unique to offer. But the problem is that guys only see who I have to be on the sports field or when I have to lead a committee. Sometimes I have to step up, but I think that should be inspiring more than intimidating.

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home